Our Brazilian Stew
This recipe is the same one we serve and sells out at our markets.
How to make
- In a large pot cook the sausages on high heat and set them aside.
- In the same pot, on medium heat, use the grease of the sausage to cook the onions until golden brown.
- Add garlic and stir.
- Add cooked beans with their liquid and stock - bring it to a low simmer
- In the mean time slice the sausage into rounds.
- Add sausage & brisket to the beans and put it on low heat. - Add bay leaves and chili flakes.
- Let it cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours until thick.
This stew tastes better if made the day before, so the beans really absorb the taste of the meats.
Traditionally it is served with white rice, “farofa”, kale and fresh oranges, but we serve with a sprinkle of green onions and Cheese Dots.
- 1 onion - finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1.2kg cooked beans - canned or cooked in a pressure cooker
- 1L beef or chicken stock
- 700g smoked brisket - diced
- 2 sausages - salt & pepper or spicy
- 3 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- chili flakes to taste - we use about 1tsp