If you’ve been to our markets, you’ve seen us serving pizza soup…which is just a delicious tomato soup that when you eat with Cheese Dots tastes like pizza.
I saw someone making a tomato soup with bread in the oven (very pappa al pomodoro like) and I thought 🤔 “I can Cheese Dot this!” and well…it’s delicious!
Disclaimer: my Cheese Dots were left overs, already baked and refrigerated. Fresh ones would work too, but let them cool down.
- 1 can (796ml) peeled tomatoes
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1tsp oregano
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1 can (400ml) of coconut milk* (creamier soup) or veg stock
- 5 Cheese Dots baked and cut in 4
- 1 cup of Friulano cheese (mozzarella or cheddar cheese works too)
1. Heat an oven proofed pan (a shallower pan will allow for the dots to get crunchier) and drizzle with olive oil. Add the onions. Cook until almost caramelized. Add the garlic. Cook until golden brown.
2. Add the tomatoes spices and coconut milk or veg stock.
3. Let it simmer for 20 min and use an immersion blender to bring it all together.
4. Cut Cheese Dots and add it to the soup.
5. Grate cheese and sprinkle on top of the soup.
6. Bake soup at 425F for 30-45 min or until soup has thickened and cheese has browned.
The Cheese Dots get a gnocchi-like texture, but the top ones that brown with the cheese get crunchy and delicious. Which is why we recommend using a wider and shallower pan than the one we used.
*we use coconut milk so that we can have a vegan option on our menu (without cheese dots of course) but you can use cream if you prefer.